Sunday, April 21, 2013

Super Mario Quilt

My friend Ashley White is expecting her first child, Wesley William White any time now. Since her nursery them is Super Mario Brothers, I used Angela Pingel's Super Mario Brothers QAL as inspiration. Instead of using all 1 1/2" squares, I combined squares to make larger units. I also pieced as usual, rather than using the Pellon Stick-n-Wash stabilizer. I rescaled the Mario block to be a 36" x 36" baby quilt, which meant each square of the grid ended up being 2" finished. 

I quilted using a decorative serpentine stitch on my machine at its longest setting for the background. Mario was quilted by stitching in the ditch. I used matching thread colors on the front, and black on the back, since the backing is solid black. The binding was stitched to the back, then pulled around to the front. I stitched while looking at the front side to know if I was catching the binding with my line of stitching or not. The line of stitching appears on the quilt back, just off the binding. This is not very noticeable if thread that matches the backing is used.

No comments:

Post a Comment